January 6, 2017

Uno

Do you know the real rules of the game?
Is the game going faster than you anticipated?

These are some of the questions that I reflected on while playing Uno with my boys.
At the end of the first game, I explained the reason for the name of the game, Uno. Mr. 8 thought that the winner was the one who had one card. I explained saying UNO! is a signal to others that the game is close to finishing. The game is over when the last card is played.
Several times, I helped Mr. 6 to hold his cards so we couldn't see them. Being the competitive one, I soon realized this activity was not about winning but about an introduction to the game.
The package says 7+, but smart Mr. 6 picked up the matching colors and type and having to draw cards. There was a point though, where the game got too fast because of the Reverse and Skip cards. I identified that bewildered look and showed the game back down.
The event lasted 3 rounds and then they were done. I hope they will want to play more in the future.
This game playing lead me to think about coaching teachers.
I'm reading a book, Building Teachers' Capacity for Success by Pete Hall and Alisa Simeral. It has been eye-opening to see many strategies that I've been using are good ones. I'm just not using them in a way that is as effective as they could be.
Like the Uno game with my boys, I have to look at coaching in a different light. Change the lens and then proceed with the teacher's and ultimately the students' success in mind.
Confession- I didn't want to play Uno with my boys, but I knew they needed more positive interactions with me and have more opportunities to improve critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Maybe, I'm too much of a educator at home, but I know that my boys will be better suited for a society who needs thinkers and doers because they have ideas and the confidence to share them.

#MOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment