February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

My church does a Soup Kitchen every Sunday 12-2:30p Many people come through to get food, bread, and produce.

Being there and helping serve people has made a huge impact on me. There are so many hurting that it will take a huge cultural and societal change to address the foundational issues we are facing.

Also, I have found out that a kind word, smile, and positive interactions do go a long way. I’ve not been there since Thanksgiving as they fell on days I had other duties, was out of town to see my handsome boys, or home recovering from my surgery. So, walking in and hearing, “Rodney! We are glad you are back! How are you feeling? We’ve missed you!” was very good for my heart. That was from those who came in for the services. The director of the ministry told me thank you for being the one with a smile and supporting people as they come through. I told her, I do that because I know how it feels when looked down upon.

Everyone needs a cheerleader. If it happens to be a stranger, so be it.

I worked hard today. I made garlic bread in a kitchen with 8 ladies from across the West Indies and South America.
I served nearly 100 plates of food, bussed the tables when folks left, swept the floor, and put away the tables and chairs.
I laughed.
I cried from laughing.
I ate delicious food.
I learned that making Roti is complex.
I talked to people who really enjoyed what they do.
I even sweated in that HOT kitchen. (At one point, I had to go outside and cool off in the 33F sun.)
I came home with my belly filled and my heart happy.

Before I left, I told the ladies thank you for the wonderful time helping them and re-filling my bucket. It was hard work and I had to give time and effort, but it was worth every moment. If I don’t spend time with people to learn about them, I am wasting my time with them. Not going to do that any more.

IMG_20190217_145442067.jpg

The first Roti on the tawa

If I don't take a moment to learn a new detail about a person while talking to them, I am wasting time..png



from WordPress http://bit.ly/2Eg6ZQT

No comments:

Post a Comment