June 22, 2009

Linux!

Well, here is the first of many posts about my excursion with Linux. Today, I tried to install openSUSE 10.3 onto an old computer in my office (Gateway tower). No luck. The CD was bad. Tried it on another computer to make sure. Yep, it was the CD.
So, I decided to install openSUSE 11 onto it. NO VA! What is wrong with this computer? No idea, but I think the CD drive is bad, so I'll change it out tomorrow and try it again. Or could it be that it does not have the RAM or processor speed to run 10.3? What ever it is I will find out, because it now bugs me.
Instead, I installed openSUSE 11 on another faster, more modern computer (Compaq Presario 6000). Just waiting now for the results on this install. I put Mandriva on it. That distro did not work for me. It was a wreck from the start. No sound drive, could not find the right one on line, complex display, and counter-intuitive menus. I had to get rid of it.

Earlier in the year, I had a laptop hard drive crash and burn. So, after reinstalling WinXP (yuck), updating it (again), I installed open SUSE 11 after reading through reviews of Linux distros that work fairly well and users reviewed. Can I say simply awesome?! I love it (so far)! It works better than WinXP does. One noticeable difference is that the fan runs constantly when I'm logged into XP. The fan runs at least half the time when I'm in Linux! I will stop here with the review, because I need to work on more tweaks and dig around in Linux before I can say much more.

Off to more tinkering in Linux.
BTW, I found a Twitter widget, so I can tweet while I tink.

No comments:

Post a Comment